Dogs need to eat twice a day – once in the morning and at night – but when you’re at work or school during feeding times? What will happen to your favourite pet? Isn’t will be great if an automatic dog feeder come in handy to give your pooch his meals on time? Automatic dog feeders give out your dog’s food automatically, either by electronic programming or by gravity.
We searched at dozens of automatic dog feeders so as to locate the best, highest-quality, most reliable automatic dog feeder at any budget, based on factors such as superiority of materials, Amazon ratings, price, and other considerations. We pointed our search down to five of the top-rated automatic dog feeders that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the PetSafe minimally Feed Automatic Feeder as the best automatic dog feeder overall. While it’s a bit pricier than some of our other picks, it can dispense 12 meals per day, features three dissimilar feeding modes, and is made of BPA-free plastic and stainless steel. These features, coupled with the fact that it’s simple to set up and clean, make it an excellent choice for smart dog owners.
- 1.PetSafe Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
- 2.WESTLINK 6L Automatic Feeder with Voice Recorder
- 3.Amazon Basics Self-Dispensing Gravity Pet Feeder with Waterer
- 4.Little Giant Galvanized Steel Chow Hound Dog Feeder
- 5.PortionPro Rx Automatic Pet Feeder
- Who Should Buy an Automatic Feeder
- Important Features to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Gravity Dog Feeders
- 1.Petmate Pet Cafe Feeder
- 2.Flexzion Pet Feeder Food Dispenser Station
- 3.Van Ness Large Auto Feeder
- 4.Bergan Aut-O-Dine 25
- 1.PetSafe Six Meal Automatic Pet Feeder
- 2.Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
- 3.CEESC Electronic Automatic Pet Feeder 5 L Digital LCD Screens and Voice Recording
- 4.Pet Feeder Happypapa 5.5 L Automatic Dog Feeders with Timer Larger LCD Screen and Voice Recorder
- 5.Home Intuition 6 Meal Automatic Pet Feeder among Programmable Timer
- 6.WOpet 7L Pet Feeder, Automatic Pet Feeder
- 7.Aspen Pet Lebistro Programmable Food Dispenser
- 8.amzdeal Automatic Dog Feeder with Timer Programmable
- 9.PetSafe Digital Two Meal Dog Feeder
- 1.HoneyGuaridan S25 Smart Automatic Pet Feeder
- 2.PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog Feeder
- 3.LOME Smart Feeder Pet Food and Water Dispenser with HD Night Vision Camera
- 1.Qpets Automatic Pet Feeder
- 2.TD Design Automatic Pet Feeder
- 3.Jempet Automatic Pet Feeder
- 4.WOPET Automatic Cat Feeder, Pet Feeder for Dogs and Cats with Ice Pack Included – 2 Meals
If you’re looking for a dependable automatic feeder that will stand the test of time, look no further than the PetSafe only Feed Automatic Feeder. This feeder features a digital timer that can program an unbeatable twelve meals daily. The large reservoir can hold up to 1.5 gallons of food. The unique feeding system features an anti-jam conveyor belt that dispenses all sizes of dry and damp kibble.
The PetSafe feeder features three feeding modes: slow feed mode, which dispenses meals over a 15-minute time span to put off your pet from gobbling up food too quickly; immediate feed mode, which dispenses the next meal right away; and pause mode, which provisionally shuts off feeding as keeping your pre-programmed schedule intact.
Reviewers love how they can always rely on this reliable feeder. They don’t have to worry that their dog isn’t being fed as they’re not home because it works every time. The feeder includes a stainless steel feeding dish that’s dishwasher secure. It also boasts a one-year standard battery life.
PetSafe Healthy Pet Automatic Key Features:
- A digital timer that can program 12 meals per day
- Large LCD screen that makes programming painless
- Anti-jam conveyor system
- Extra-large hopper that holds 1.5 gallons of kibble
- Three feeding modes
- Pet-proof dispenser to remain food fresh and secure
- Dishwasher-safe stainless steel bowl
- One-year battery life
Slightly more budget-friendly, WESTLINK Automatic Feeder with Voice Recorder at rest packs a punch. This dog feeder features a fitted voice recorder and speaker. You can record 10 seconds of your voice to call your pet to their meals – ideal for pets that tend to sleep through mealtimes. The feeder is pre-programmable up to 4 meals each day. Each meal dispenses one to 39 portions at every feeding, with each portion weighing about 10 to 12 grams. Food size for this feeder cannot exceed .39 inches, so it might not be suitable for dogs that eat large kibble.
The hopper holds six liters of food in an air-tight box that has a recessed spring latch so pets cannot get inside. The system also features an infrared sensor that stops the device from dispensing when food is at rest left in the bowl. This keeps the system from jamming or overflowing.
Reviewers love how easy it is to program, set up, and clean. They also love the sleek design and the long-lasting battery life.
WESTLINK 6L Automatic Pet Feeder Key Features:
- 10-second voice recorder
- Programmable for up to 4 meals every day, one to 39 portions of 10-12 grams each
- 6-liter capacity
- Infrared sensor to stop the device from dispensing while there is food left in the bowl
The Amazon Basics Gravity Pet Feeder and Waterer is the best automatic dog feeder for budget-friendly pet owners who don’t desire to sacrifice quality for price. It features both a gravity feeder and a waterer for double the cost at half the price.
The hopper holds up to 12 pounds of dry food in all shapes and sizes. It’s prepared of transparent PET plastic so you can simply see when food needs to be refilled. The entire device can be hand washed simply with soap and water. The feeder features side handles that make it quick and easy to grab and lift the feeder when you want to move it. It also has non-skid feet to avoid the feeder from sliding across the floor as your pet eats. The design features no moving parts, so nothing will ever call for to be replaced for the life of the feeder.
Reviewers like the simple and easy-to-clean design of both the feeder and waterer. They also can’t get over the price for the price.
AmazonBasics Self-Dispensing Gravity Pet Feeder and Waterer main Features:
- 12-pound capacity
- Transparent pet food hopper to effortlessly see when food needs to be refilled
- No moving parts that will need to be replaced
- Integrated side handles and non-skid feet
If you’re seeking a gravity dog feeder that will stand up to even the most determined pooches, look no more than the Little Giant Steel Chow Hound Dog Feeder. It’s made of 24-gauge galvanized steel for the ultimate in durability. It features a magnetic door that keeps the food in the hopper clean and dry. Dogs just need to open the door with their snouts to access their food. The purposely angled shoot provides for easy flow of food. The extra-large food reservoir holds 25 pounds of food, but there is a larger model that can hold up to 50 pounds of food.
Reviewers loves that this feeder stands up to their even their most mischievous pets. One reviewer complained that her dogs could effortlessly knock down other models and spill out the food, as the Little Giant has withstood her pooches. Other reviewers like the sturdiness and toughness of the feeder and say that it’s even suitable for feeding pets outdoors.
Little Giant Galvanized Steel Chow Hound Dog Feeder main Features:
- Galvanized steel for durability
- Angled shoot to provides for easy food flow
- A magnetic door helps keep food fresh
- 25-pound capacity
Best Portion & Access Controlled Pet Feeder
The PortionPro Rx Automatic Pet Feeder is an pioneering and intelligent pet feeder that does more than just deliver your pet’s meals. The PortionPro Rx also handles access control, which means simply the intended pet can eat the food that is meant for them. This is perfect for the multi-pet homes that deal with food guarding, food stealing, and other aggressive behaviors at meal-time; as well as, being grand for any homes dealing with feeding expensive therapeutic foods. During a patented active RFID system in the tag, the PortionPro Rx senses as a pet is within 2 feet and either opens or closes a door over the food bowl to control access. This is essential as many competitive feeders use a passive RFID system to reacts at a very close range, meaning that those pesky food bullies are by now stealing food before the system reacts.
With several different feeding options that are simply programmable, pets can be given anywhere from 2 to 6 meals per day and wherever from 1/2 cup to 6 cups of food daily. The 6 meals per day makes the PortionPro Rx perfect for cats as studies have found that it is healthier for cats to eat frequent small meals all over the day. Also, with meals being delivered every 4 hours you won’t require to worry about the paw to the face waking you up for that middle of the night snack.
Available from Amazon, the PortionPro Rx retails at $299 and is shipped straight to your home. Visit dogbreeedsall.com for more information about the feeder and the solution to all your feeding problems.
PortionPro Rx Automatic Pet Feeder Key Features:
- Patented active RFID system to manage food access (reacts from a 2 foot range)
- Ceramic coated steel food bowl (great for pet hygiene)
- Several safety features to put off any harm to pets or small children
- Food bin can hold about 30 cups of arid kibble
- Feeds 1/2-6 cups of food per day at odds into up to 6 meals
- Made with food-safe materials
- Lightweight and water-resistant tag
- Error codes appear on LCD screen for easy diagnosis of any problems
- Theft proof system makes getting more kibbles near impossible from the food bin
- Easy to take apart for cleaning all areas that come in contact with kibble
Who Should Buy an Automatic Feeder
Dogs thrive best when they are fed two times a day on a regular, consistent schedule. This can sometimes be hard to achieve while you work long hours, go to school, or just plan to be out of the house throughout your dog’s regular feeding time. Instead of having to feed your dog before the sun rises or after the sun sets, you can pre-program the automatic feeder to feed your pooch at his classic breakfast and dinner times.
Automatic feeders can also come in helpful on the weekends. Instead of having your pooch wake you up early on to get his morning meal, you can pre-set the feeder to allow for further lounge time in the morning.
Automatic feeders can also offer a bit of stimulation for dogs left home alone. Numerous automatic feeders record and playback messages to your dogs. This can aid soothe their nerves while they’re home alone and can also help break up their day throughout the long hours you’re gone. Automatic feeders can also assist you manage feeding multiple dogs at one time. For example, you can feed your small pooch one-on-one as your ravenous German Shepard eats his own meal in another room.
Important Features to Consider
An automatic dog feeder should be safe, air-tight, and made with quality pet-safe materials. Here’s what to consider while selecting an automatic dog feeder:
* Security. Poorly constructed automatic feeders may allow your pooch to break during and access food before the designated feeding time. To avoid this, look for feeders that are constructed with excellence materials – especially if your dog is a heavy chewer. Some automatic dog feeders have reservoirs made with galvanized steel and feature protected locking systems to remain out even the most determined pooches.
* A high-quality feeding dish. The reservoir isn’t the simply part of automatic feeders that should be well-constructed. The feeding dish wants to high-quality, non-toxic, and sturdy sufficient to hold up to heavy chewing.
* Large-kibble capacity. Some feeders are not completed to dispense large-size kibble, which can be a problem for several large-breed dogs that eat dog food with big pieces of kibble. If your dog likes large kibble, be positive to look for a feeder that can handle the large pieces.
* Air-tight food reservoirs. Seem for an automatic feeder that keeps a tight seal and doesn’t allow air to go into the reservoir. This will keep your food fresh for longer and will remain it from going stale. This is especially vital for large-capacity feeders.
* Long-lasting battery life. If your feeder operates by batteries, be certain that it has a long-lasting battery life. Some ultra-fancy feeders have a lot of cool features, but eat up battery life speedily. This can be a problem when you’re relying on the feeder to open on time. in its place, look for models that minimize battery expenditure.
* Easy to clean. Look for feeders that are simple to clean, since you’ll have to clean them often. Many models are effortless to disassemble and fit right into the dishwasher for ultimate convenience.
* Pre-recorded messages for your pet. Some pets, especially older dogs who like to sleep a lot, require to be called in for breakfast or dinner. If this sounds like your pooch, you might desire to opt for an automatic dog feeder that features a pre-recorded message for your pet. You can record a message that will play while it’s time for your pooch to eat.
* Dry and wet food compatible. If your pooch just eats wet food, you’ll call for to be on the lookout for an automatic feeder that is compatible with wet food. Some models even include an ice pack to stay wet food fresh longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an automatic dog feeder and which way does it work?
An automatic dog-feeder is simple like what it sounds like. It’s a pet food point that gives your dog food automatically either by electronic programming or by gravity. There are several dissimilar types of automatic feeders, including gravity fed systems, mechanized feeders, clamshell dispensers, and circular dispensers.
How do gravity dog feeders work?
Gravity-fed dog feeders are the easiest type of dog feeders on the market. They have an upright reservoir that holds the dog food, connected to a little dish that fills with food. As your dog eats the food in the dish, gravity brings down additional food from the tank. This type of feeder is great for dogs who like to eat when they please, but not ideal for dogs that tend to overeat and remain eating until their food is all gone.
How do you set an automatic dog feeder?
Setting your automatic dog feeder will rely on your individual model. In general, you will have a “clock” option that you will first require to set to the current time. Then, you will want to input each desired feeding time, one at a time. Some models will allow you to regulate the amount of food dispensed at each feeding, while others do not. Be certain to refer to the instructions of your particular model.
How many times in a day should you feed your dog?
Most expert recommend feeding your pooch twice a day – once in the morning and other once in the evening. Puppies less than five months of age should be fed more regularly, about three or four times a day. In order to set a feeding schedule that’s suitable for your dog’s unique needs, be certain to check with your veterinarian.
Other Automatic Dog Feeders We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other automatic dog feeders. Even while they didn’t make our 5 best automatic dog feeders list, they’re the best of the rest and each is at rest a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to evaluate each one is included with the listing.
- Gravity Dog Feeders
- Timed Dog Feeders
- Smartphone-Enabled Feeders
- Dry & Wet Food friendly Feeders
Gravity Dog Feeders
The Petmate Pet Cafe feeder is a easy gravity-style feeder. It replenishes the food in the bowl while your pet finishes eating. It’s sturdy and strong to stand up to heavy-duty use.
- Removable lid for simple cleaning & refill
- Easy-grab cutouts to simply move the feeder
- Made of environmentally-friendly PET plastic
The Flexzion Pet Feeder Food Dispenser Station too features a gravity feed design that replenishes your pet’s food supply when it gets low. Made with environmentally-friendly PET plastic, it’s dishwasher secure for easy cleaning.
- 4-6 pound capacity
- Recessed handle areas for easy lifting
- Non-skid feet to stay it in place
The Van Ness Auto Feeder is completely sized for large dogs. It holds up to 10 pounds of food and dispenses even the largest-size kibble.
- Large 10-pound capacity
- Ideally sized for large dogs
- Removable lid for simple cleaning
The Bergan Aut-O-Dine holds up to 25 pounds of food in an air-tight container awaiting your dog decides to eat. It’s sturdy and meant to hold up to the biggest dogs.
- Holds 25 pounds
- Made with larger dogs in mind
- Heavy-duty plastic
Timed Dog Feeders
The PetSafe Automatic Pet Feeder is a circular feeder so as to dispense up to six pre-portioned meals each day. Each tray slot holds up to one cup of dry or semi-moist dog food, which drops into the food bowl as the carousel turns at pre-programmed intervals.
- Pet-proof dispenser and top
- Removable bowl and tray is dishwasher safe
- Built-in digital clock and LCD display
The Art Pets Pet Feeder dispenses up to four meals every day. You can also evidence a 10-second voice recording to alert your pets to their meal.
- Flexible portion control – choose 1 to 10 portions of 24 ml each
- Blue light-up LCD display that makes programming simple
- Magnetic-lock lid
The CEESC Electronic Automatic Pet Feeder provides huge flexibility in feeding time, with each feeding ranging in size from one to ten cups. This model allows you to feed up to three meals every day and features a 10-second voice recording to play at mealtimes.
- Record a 10-second voice recording those auto-plays throughout meal times
- Three to six-month battery life
- 22.5 cup capacity
The Happypapa 5.5L Automatic Dog Feeder features a large LCD screen that’s easier to see for precise programming. It also allows you to record your voice to repeat your pet when it’s time to eat.
- Programmable to feed three times per day
- Made of environment-affable, sunshine resistant, and shock resistant ABS plastic materials.
- 5.5 litre funnels capacity
The Home Intuition 6 Meal Automatic Pet Feeder allows you to pre-record a six-second voice recording to let your pet make out its feeding time. It features six separate slots for food for every day time and portion control.
- Allows you to serve up to six meals, either daily or outstretched over a few days
- Features a six-second voice recording
- Pet-safe locking lid
The WOPet Automatic Pet Feeder allows you to dispense wherever from 2 teaspoons to 4.5 cups dry food per feeding up to four meals each day. It’s appropriate for dry food only, with kibble size ranging from 0.2-0.6 inches in diameter.
- Programmable up to four feedings a day
- 20-cup capacity
- In case of a power outage, the feeder will switch to 3 D-size batteries to ensure your pet gets fed
With the Aspen Pet Lebistro Programmable food dispenser, you can program up to three dissimilar-sized meals per day. The removable food bowl is dishwasher safe to make cleaning a breeze.
- Reliably delivers three changed portion-controlled meals
- Large LCD screen makes programming easy
- Twist-lock lid to keep food airtight and fresh, as a baffle added to the hopper prevents jams
The amzdel Automatic Dog Feeder provides four meals, by 1 to 39 portions of 5 grams each per meal. It features an advanced infrared detection technology to put off food from spilling over.
- Constructed of food-grade environmentally-friendly materials
- Includes an 18-month warranty
- 4.4-pound capacity
The PetSafe Digital Two Meal Dog Feeder features a clamshell-method design. It provides two timed meals of preportioned food during the day.
- Each compartment holds 1.5 cups of arid pet food
- Programmable up to five days in advance
- Removable food trays are top-shelf dishwasher secure
The Honey Guaridan S25 Smart Automatic Pet Feeder connects among your smartphone so you can feed your pet remotely. It is completed of BPA Free materials, is FDA certified and includes a 12-month. Limited warranty.
- Free iOS/Andriod app to join the feeder with your smartphone
- Dispenses flexible portions of 1/40 to 3/5 cups
- Holds up to 8 liters of food
Set up to ten meals per day by the PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog Feeder, featuring smartphone compatibility. The free Android and iPhone app allows you to monitor your pet’s feeding from wherever during the day.
- Pre-programmable up to ten feedings per day with a feed now choice that allows you to feed your pet on demand
- Meals can be dispensed between 1/8 cups to four cups
- The slow feed option allows the food to dispense leisurely over a 15-minute period to prevent your pet from gobbling up the food too rapidly
The LOME Smart Feeder features smartphone compatibility by means of a night vision camera for the ultimate interaction with your pet. The feeder also comes with a 17-ounce water distributor that lets your dog drink throughout the day.
- Built-in night vision camera and microphone allowing you to interact with your pet during both the day and night
- Mini SD slot that supports up to a 64GB card for saving pictures and videos
- 1.05 gallon ability food storage
Dry & Wet Food Compatible Feeders
The Qpets Automatic Pet Feeder features a round design that dispenses up to six pre-portioned meals every day consisting of any type of food – dry, moist or wet. This also allows you to record a six-second voice recording for your pet.
- 6 compartments for use with dry, damp and wet food
- Lid lock to prevent pets from getting into the trays before the particular feeding time
- Built-in clock with LCD display
The TD Design Automatic Pet Feeder features five compartments for utilize with dry, moist, and wet food (or even treats and medication). The feeder features a removable cover and food tray that simple to clean and dishwasher safe.
- Five compartments, 240ml each
- Allows you to set up to four daily pre-recorded alarms
- Secure latching lid to remain the food in the tray until it’s feeding time
The Jempet Automatic Pet Feeder allows you to give out five meals of dry or semi-wet food. This model features a “standby” mode that helps keep your money on your electric bill and batteries.
- Five feeding compartments, per one holding 240 ml
- 10-second voice recording lets your pet recognize it’s time to eat
- Two options for power supply: DC-adapter or 4 C batteries
The WOpet Automatic Pet Feeder allows you to offer one meal of up to 1.5 cups of wet or dry food for your pet while you’re away. Setting the timer on the top of the feeder will lock the bowl awaiting it reaches zero, then the lid will automatically pop open and permit your pet to eat.
- Ice pack to keep even wet food fresh all day
- Removable feeding tray that’s dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- 1.5-cup ability